Sunday 1 July 2012

Carpe diem baby

Today it's 23 years. I was sitting in the queue waiting for the ferry crossing over to France and I was reading a copy of Bike magazine to pass the time that I had purchased for the crossing. I had my engagement ring in my pocket and the world was good. I was 22. I remember sitting there with my feet on the dash board of my black mini clubman with the oh so cool white roof (I had repainted the car at my friend and mentor Geoff's house). When I got to France my then girlfriend had to tell me my dad had been killed, the poor girl. Its funny but that one event changed my life forever. At first you carry on, but after that the stress like a cancer takes its toll and things start to fall apart. It took me a long time to recognise and then deal with his death. Now I have a lovely wife and two great kids the loss is still there. 23 year on I still miss him every day. I spoke to Geoff a couple of years back, now in his sixties (once my dads apprentice) and he said the same thing, it funny how someone can touch you so deeply. I don't know why but this year it seems different, probably because this year my dads been dead longer than I knew  him when he was alive. My kids never knew my dad but when they were little I used to tell them bedtime stories about my dad and so I hope a little of his spirit lives on in them. Its a short ass life so "Carpe Diem" or seize the day because you never know when your number's up.

1 comment:

  1. There was plenty good about your dad and it (he) continues in you.

    ReplyDelete